Changes to SIA Licence Requirements
The Security Industry Authority have released a statement regarding some changes to the training you need to take before you can get a front line SIA licence. These changes will happen in April and October 2021.
It has been announced by the SIA that: “
- on 01 April 2021, we will introduce updated qualifications for all sectors except Close Protection;
- from 01 April 2021, you must have a first aid qualification before you can take the training required for a Door Supervisor or Security Guard licence;
- on 01 October 2021, we will introduce updated Close Protection qualifications;
- from 01 October 2021, you must have one of the new qualifications or take top-up training before you can apply for a Door Supervisor and Security Guard licence – this includes renewals. “
Some may ask why the changes are being implemented. There are some key points that have been considered:
- The private security industry is increasingly recognised as providing an important role in the protection of the public.
- This recognition brings scrutiny, and it is more important than ever that the industry maintains and improves its standards.
- It is crucial that all operatives have the knowledge and skills to deal with common risks in safety critical areas.
- A key element of our role as the regulator is to work with the industry to raise standards in private security. The new requirements will help to achieve this.
- The new licence-linked qualifications reflect what we have learned from extensive research, consultation, and engagement.